22 September, 2013
Comments : 2 Posted in : Appetizer, Potato, Recipes, Vegetarian on by : Rita
Prep & Cooking: 45 minutes
Serves 6-8 persons
- 2 large potatoes, lightly mashed
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- few curry leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillis, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric pwd
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup besan/chickpea flour/senaga pindi
- 2 tbsps rice flour
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli pwd
- pinch of cooking soda
- water as required
- Heat oil in a vessel, add the mustard seed and allow them to splutter. Add the cumin seeds and let them brown lightly. Add green chillis, curry leaves and ginger-garlic paste and saute for a mt. Immediately add the onions and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder and combine. Add the mashed potatoes and combine and cook for a mt. Add coriander leaves and lemon juice and turn off heat. Cool and make small balls and keep aside.
- Place a heavy bottomed vessel on the stove, add enough oil for deep-frying and allow it to heat on low flame. While the oil is heating prepare the batter.
- In a bowl, add the ingredients required for making the batter. Slowly add water and make a slightly thick, flowing batter. Dip the potato ball in the batter and coat it well and place in the hot oil. Cook on medium high flame till golden brown. Remove onto absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with chutney or tomato sauce and a cup of masala chai OR proceed to prepare Vada Pav.