Agarni / Agharni Lavda
By Rita Kapadia
Recipe for Agarni Ladva
2 1/2 cups gram flour (not superfine variety)
500 ml. milk (optional to remove sugar impurity)
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
3 cups ghee for deep frying
2 fine hole shallow strainer metal spoons, or use a colander with holes (be innovative)
1/2 tsp vanilla or rose essence or rose water
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (javantri powder)
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups water
Few drops saffron (kesar) or orange food color
1. Put sugar and water in a vessel and boil.
2. When sugar dissolves, add milk.
3. Boil for 5 minutes till scum forms on top.
4. Strain and return to fire.
5. Add color and boil till sticky but no thread has formed. One string tar is not needed.
6. Add cardamom powder and mix. Keep aside.
1. Mix flour and milk to a smooth batter.
2. Heat ghee in a heavy frying pan.
3. Hold strainer on top with one hand.
4. With the other pour some batter all over the holes.
5. Tap gently till all batter has fallen into hot ghee.
6. Stir with another strainer and remove when light golden.
7. Keep aside. Repeat for remaining batter.
8. Immerse boondi in syrup.
9. Drain any excess syrup.
10. Spread in a large plate and sprinkle little tsp. of hot water over it.
11. Cover and keep for 5 minutes.
12. Shape in laddoos with moist palms. (For Agarni Lavra shape into cones)
13. Cool and keep open to dry, before storing in containers.
Shortcut: Buy Boondi ladoos from store, crush and shape into cone shaped agarni lavra.