- 6 (400 gm) chicken thighs (boneless) or goat meat (mutton)
- 6 eggs hard-boiled and cut length wise into 2 pieces for garnish
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 Tbsp desi ghee
- 4-5 cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- Small piece of cinnamon
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 tsp yellow chilli powder
- 2 tsp fennel or saunf powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel powder
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup hot water infused with a 1/4 tsp saffron and orange color.
- 2 cups or 500 gm rice (long grain, basmati rice)
- 4 cups water
- 3 tsp rose water
- 2 green chillies, sliced
For the mix (infusion):
- Scrub and wash the rice and soak it in water for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into even sized pieces.
- In a bowl add all the marinade ingredients and coat the chicken pieces well with it.
- Let it marinate for a while. (15 minutes or overnight)
- In the meanwhile heat some ghee in a pan and add all the spices for the masala.
- When the spices turn slightly brown add the onions.
- Cook the onions partially on slow heat to ensure that they do not change their color.
- If you think the heat is getting too high to handle put in a little bit of water.
- Once the onions are nice and glossy, well cooked and on the verge of changing color add a cup of yogurt.
- Now add the yellow chilli powder.
- Cook on low heat for a minute. Now add the chicken.
- Then add the saunf powder.
- Add some salt and mix well.
- Now add some water.
- Let it cook for a couple of minutes. (till the chicken is partially cooked)
- Once done, remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Once it cools down take the chicken pieces out and strain the gravy over the chicken.
- Now add the finishing spices to the “mix”(the chicken and liquid). Add the cream to it. Keep this cooked meat aside for layering later.
- This is the meat infusion/mix in which the rice will be cooked. Keep this aside.
- In a pan heat 4 cups of water. Add salt and rose water to it.
- As soon as it comes to a boil add the rice. Cook it partially and drain and keep aside.
- Take one cup of his cooked rice and add the saffron orange hot water. Keep aside.
- In another pan heat half of the mix you made earlier with all the chicken / mutton pieces.
- Once this infusion comes to a boil add half of the rice to it.
- Check the seasoning before adding rice after which you would not be able to adjust it.
- Add the rice to the mix and sprinkle some ginger and sliced green chillies.
- Now add the other half of rice and mix.
- Sprinkle the saffron orange rice and mix lightly.
- Add the chicken meat one layer between the cooked rice
- Let it cook on low heat (on dum, in it’s own heat) covered with foil for about 10 minutes. (till the water evaporates and chicken and rice are fully cooked).
Serve hot with Boiled Eggs and Yogurt Raita. (as shown in photo)