Skip to content
January 21, 2018
Bhakhras can be dusted with powdered sugar for variety and a Christmas look.
by Rita Jamshed Kapadia
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose bleached flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fine semolina (Ravo)
- 1/2 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 125 ml toddy mixed with 1 tsp sugar and 125 ml warm water (Beer can be substituted for toddy)
Water as required
- 1 tsp powdered cardamom and nutmeg mixture
- 1/2 tsp salt
Oil for deep frying
- Powdered Sugar for dusting (Optional Christmas Look)
- Sift flour, semolina, spices and salt together.
- Beat sugar and ghee together.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Add flour mixture, mix well and add toddy.
- Beat to a stiff dough, adding water if necessary.
- Cover with cling film or damp cloth and keep in a warm place for about 2-3 hours, till dough has risen.
- Roll out about quarter-inch thick and cut into one-and-a-half-inch rounds with a biscuit cutter.
- Deep fry and drain.
- Cool and store in an airtight glass jar.