(Also spelt as Dhansaak, Dhanshak, Dhunsak, Thansak)
Vegetarians can leave the meat out and make the dal, it comes out very good.
Parsi Dhansak Recipe: Parsi Dhansak for the good times by Rita
For the Dhansak dal:
- 1 lb Chicken skinned and washed. (or Lamb, Goat Meat. Vegetarians can leave the meat out and make the dal, it comes out very good)
- 1 1/2 cups Tuvar Dal washed and soaked for 30 minutes.
- 1 large onion chopped.
- 1 Tomato chopped.
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves chopped.(optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh methi leaves chopped.(optional)
- 5 leaves of fresh mint.
- 3 inch piece of yellow/orange pumpkin.
- 2 Potatoes peeled and quartered.
- 2 tsp salt.
- 1 tsp Turmeric.
- Water enough to cover the contents.
- 1 small onion finely chopped.
- 2 tbsp oil.
- 2 tsp Ginger/Garlic/Chili Paste. Make paste by grinding 1 inch piece of gingerroot, 4 cloves garlic and 2 hot Jalapeno chilies.
- 2 tsp Dhansak Masala. (See recipes to make at home).
- 2 tsp Dhana (coriander seeds) and Jeera (Cumin seeds) powder.
- Salt and Black Pepper powder to taste.
- Put all of the above ingredients in a Pressure cooker and cook for 10 minutes only.
- Open cooker and remove meat and potatoes.
- Mash the dal with electric blender or by hand. Put in a large pot and bring to a simmer.
- Next do the “Vaghar”. Fry the onion in hot oil till brown. Lower heat and add the paste. Fry till aroma comes out.
- Add the rest of the vaghar dry powder ingredients and fry 1 minute on very slow heat. Immediately add this Vaghar to the simmering dhansak dal.
- Add water if needed.
- Taste and add salt/spices to your taste.
- Add the meat and potatoes and simmer 5 more minutes.
Dhansak is served with Hot Brown Rice and Kachumber.
Vegetable Dhansak | Parsi Bhonu with Chef Kayzad | Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana