8 July, 2015
Parsi Saas is a tasty, delicate, savory white sauce.
Add any fish or shrimp and it is manna from the heavens.
Indeed this Saas is different. It is something I like serving my family often. Easy to make and a variation from the white saas we are all used to. This is brown and has a robust, roasted flavor. Serve with Red Masoor ni Khichri, sliced raw onions and fried Papads.
- 1 lb Haddock, Salmon, King Fish or 4 pomfret pieces(shown here)
- 3 green chilies
- few curry leaves
- 3 big onions
- 1 big tomato chopped (or 6 small cherry tomatoes)
- 6 flakes garlic finely chopped
- small piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1tbsp pure vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp gram flour (besan)
- salt to taste.
- In a large flat bottom pot, heat a 1 tbsp of oil and add finely cut green chilies, curry leaves, ginger and garlic and saute for some time.
- Add salt.
- Add besan and fry over low flame
- Next add water and bring to boil slowly.
- Add fish pieces and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on low flame till the fish is done
- Last add the vinegar and sugar to taste and switch off
- Fry the finely cut onions till light brown in color. Drain and save on paper towels for garnish.
- Fry the chopped tomato. Drain and save on paper towels for garnish.