You need a special vessel to prepare this which resembles a Guliyappa/Paddu wok/Kadai. OR a modern day Ebelskiver Pan.
1/2 kg Whole wheat flour
400 ml Milk
1 cup Toddy
2 Tspns Fresh yeast, mixed with 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 cup warm water
3 tblspns Sugar
1/2 Cup Warm water
50 gms Almond.. blanched and chopped.
1 tblspn Caraway seeds
50 gms Ghee
2 tblspns Icing sugar
1 cup Oil (Adjust Quantity As Needed)
- Beat ghee or butter until soft and smooth.
- Add one egg at a time, beating constantly.
- Gradually add flour and milk alternately, and keep mixing.
- Add almonds and caraway seeds.
- Mix and add toddy and prepared yeast.
- Mix well, cover with cling wrap film or damp cloth and keep in a warm place for about 5 hours, till well risen.
- Heat a ”popatji nu panu.” A special vessel to make these.
- Half fill the depressions with oil and allow to get hot.
- Spoon in enough batter to fill the depressions three-quarters full.
- When base is cooked and crisp, turn over with a skewer and cook other side.
- When brown and crisp on both sides remove from oil with a pair of tongs or a skewer and drain well in a colander.
- Repeat till all the batter is finished.
- Sift with icing sugar and serve.