An ancient delicacy. Sandhna are fluffy white pancake like delicacy. They are made from rice flour that is kept to rise. You got to make them to know the taste of bygone days!
Here is the much sought after recipe.
Makes 25 sandhana
3/4 kg. Rice Flour
4 cups milk
900 grm. Ghee
2 cups fermented toddy
1 onion peeled
900 gms. Powdered sugar
100 gms ghee to grease plates
5 Almonds blanched and slivered
- Mix one cup flour into the milk and stir in the ghee.
- Place on fire and keep stirin till it boils.
- Remove immediately and cool.
- Pour this i to the rest of the flour. Add toddy and mix thouroughly.
- It should be consistency of cream.
- Place onion in center of mixture. Cover witb thick cloth and let rise for 4 hours.
- When dough is well risen, remove onion.
- Mix in sugar.
- Grease 5 metal plates with ghee and pour mixture.
- To steam the sandhana in the traditinal manner, place a large metal stand or ring in a very large vessel.
- On this stand, stack the 5 plates, with 2 crossed sticks between ech plate.
- Place vessal on fire with hot water reaching just below the stand.
- Cover vessal and steam till sandhans are set.
- Remove from plates and cool.
- Repeat till all are done.
- When cool wrap in a napkin cloth or foil so they do not dry.
- Serve with harisso (recipe in our cookbook).
- Sprinkle almonds on top when serving.