Phylo pastry, made with sweet sugar
syrup and nuts. Nuts are optional.
(makes approx. 25-40 small 3" circles)
1 box of Katafi (Shredded Phylo dough by Athens)
4 cups sugar
2 cups water
Crisco for frying
Finely ground powder - pistachios, saffron, almonds and cardamom
1. Make 1-strand sugar syrup. Let it cool completely for a few hours.
2. Take the Katafi out of the box (a little at a time) and cover it with a damp cloth or paper towel.
3. Take a few strands at a time and twirl it into a small circle. You can arrange them on a tray and cover with a damp cloth.
4. Heat the Crisco. Place the twirled katafi in a deep spoon with holes. Deep-fry for 30 seconds (please make sure that it does not turn brown in color).
5. Remove the fried circles and stack them up in piles (it won’t get spoilt)
6. Using your hand, take each circle and dip thoroughly in the sugar syrup. Hold it above the container for a minute and let it drain completely. Place them in the container that you are going to store it in.
7. Sprinkle the dipped sutarfeni with the pistachio powder.
Tip: If reheating frozen sutarfeni, first let it defrost to room temperature, then sprinkle a little water or milk. Cover and microwave to warm temperature.