- 300 gms dried, chopped figs
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 125 gms softened butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup powdered sugar/castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- ½ cup almond powder
- ¼ cup finely chopped blanched almonds (plus extra for topping)
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Grease and line the base of a cake tin.
- Combine the figs and water in a pan, bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add soda bicarb, cover and let it cool slightly. Blend to a smooth puree in a blender.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and pale.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift in the flour a few table spoons at a time and mix lightly.
- Add the powdered almonds and the chopped almonds.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Add the warm fig puree and mix together.
- Pour batter into a cake tin (prefer round) and bake for one hour.
- Keep the cake in the tin for about 10 minutes before turning over onto a wire rack to cool.
Tip: Test if done by inserting a metal skewer before removing from the oven.