14 January, 2017
Ravo (from cookbook)
Comments : 9 Posted in : A Recipe of ParsiCuisine.com, Dessert, Milk, Nuts, Recipes, Snack on by : Rita
My favorite – Pink colored ravo to rave for! Or a traditional white ravo with fried raisins and almonds!
by Rita Kapadia
- 1 liter of pasteurized cold milk.
- 4 tbsp of Ravo (semolina or suji)
- 4 tbsp (equal quantity ratio to ravo) of sugar
- 4 oz of Ghee (or 1/2 stick of unsalted butter)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 drops of Vanilla or Rose essence
- Pinch of red color to get pink colored ravo to rave for!
- ½ tsp of cardamom and/or nutmeg powder
- 1/2 cup mix Slivered and blanched Almonds, Pistachios, Cashews
- Raisins to taste
- 2 tsp Charoli nuts (optional)
- In a non-stick pot, on very low heat fry the ravo in ghee till it releases aroma and is fried to a crisp beaded state.
- Add the cold milk, sugar, essence and bring to a slow boil. Stir all the time.
- Beat one full egg and add 3 tsp milk to it, add this to the ravo slowly beating all the time.
- When it starts to boil, lower the flame to full simmer and keep stirring continuously without letting up. In about 10-15 minutes it should be done. Remember to allow it to remain fluid and flowing when you shut the flame and not to overcook it or allow it to reach a level of being too thick and congealed, as upon cooling, it will get dry and more thick!
- Add some milk or water if you find it has got extra thick and mix it while it is still hot and steaming.
- In a different small pan fry the soaked raisins, almonds, cashews and charoli in 4 tsp Ghee for just about 3-4 minutes to golden brown color.
- Garnish the Ravo to cover the top surface all around.
- Serve hot with Mitthu Dah (Sweet Yogurt)
- A few (4-5) pink or red rose petals (optional but extremely delightful in for added flavor and final appearance.
- ½ tsp powdered green elaichi (cardamom)
- ½ tsp grated or powdered jaiphal (nutmeg)
- Rose pink color (optional)
- Wash, clean and soak in a glass bowl dried raisins say about 2-3 tbsp and as per requirement – broken cashews, blanched and thinly slivered almonds and charoli. Fry on low heat in butter or ghee to a glden brown color. Garnish on top of Ravo just before serving.