by Rita Jamshed Kapadia
1 liter or 4.5 cups of cold milk or as needed
4 tbsp. of Ravo (semolina or suji)
4 tbsp. (equal quantity ratio to ravo) of sugar (less for diabetics)
1/2 cup water or as needed
2-3 drops of Vanilla or Rose essence
½ tsp. of cardamom and/or nutmeg powder
½ cup mix of Slivered and blanched Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios
Raisins to taste
2 tsp. Charoli nuts (optional)
1 Stick of unsalted Butter or 2 tbsp of pure Ghee or as needed
1. In a non-stick pot, on very low heat fry the ravo in ghee till it releases aroma and is fried to a crisp beaded state.
2. Add the cold milk, sugar, essence and bring to a low boil. Stir all the time.
3. Beat one full egg and add 3 tsp. milk to it, add this to the ravo lowly beating all the time.
4. When it starts to boil, lower the flame to full simmer and keep stirring continuously without letting up. In about 10-15 minutes it should be done. Remember to allow it to remain fluid and flowing when you shut the flame and not to overcook it or allow it to reach a level of being too thick and congealed, as upon cooling, it will get dry and thicker!
5. Add some milk or water if you find it has got extra thick and mix it while it is still hot and steaming.
6. In a different small pan fry the soaked raisins, almonds, cashews and Charoli in 4 tsp. Ghee for just about 3-4 minutes to golden brown color.
7. Garnish the Ravo to cover the top surface all around.
8. Serve hot with Mitthu Dahi (Sweet Yogurt)
A few (4-5) pink or red Rose petals (optional but extremely delightful in for added flavor and final appearance.
½ tsp. powdered green elaichi (cardamom)
½ tsp. grated or powdered Jaiphal (nutmeg)
3 strands of Kesar (Saffron) ground and soaked in milk to dissolve for 30 minutes beforehand
Wash, clean and soak in a glass bowl dried raisins say about 2-3 tbsp. and as per requirement – broken cashews, blanched and thinly slivered almonds and Charoli. Fry on low heat in butter or ghee to a golden brown color. Garnish on top of Ravo just before serving.
If you have a fresh rose, separate the petals, wash and sprinkle some rose petals on each serving.