HAPPY NEW YEAR !
Recipe by Rita Jamshed Kapadia
Makes 24 pieces
- 6 oz salted butter (melted)
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup rava (fine grain semolina)
- 1/2 cup cake flour or baking plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup yogurt (Measure the yogurt and keep in glass container at room temperature covered, the day ahead.)
- On the day of baking Grind 1/2 tsp saffron and add to yogurt. Keep aside this is your wet mix.
- Prepare a 13 by 9 inch glass tray by applying melted butter and sprinkling flour.
- Sift and combine the flours in a large bowl.
- Add to the flour mix, almonds, baking powder, salt, cardamon and nutmeg. Keep aside this is your dry mix.
- In a mixer, cream the sugar and eggs. Add eggs one by one.
- Alternate and add the dry mix and wet yogurt saffron mix a small portion at a time (see video). Blend well.
- Pour out in the baking tray.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Put tray in oven for 5 minutes till dough is hot. Now add all of the melted butter to the bubbly kumas, mix well and stir with a spatula till all the butter is absorbed. This is essential to a fluffy and moist kumas cake!
- If desired sprinkle chopped almonds on top.
- Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes in a pre-heated oven. Now and then check with inserting a toothpick or a blunt knife, to make sure kumas cake is baked. If the knife comes out clean without sticky dough, know the kumas is done.
Recipe is from the cookbook “Treasured Grandmother’s Recipes“.