7 December, 2016
Comments : 4 Posted in : A Recipe of ParsiCuisine.com, Almond, Bakery, Charoli, Cuisine, Dessert, Eggs, Flour cake, Nuts, Recipes, Semolina (Rava), Side Dish, Snack, Traditional Parsi Recipes, Vegetarian, Video, Wheat, Yogurt / Dahi / Curd on by : Rita
Makes 24 pieces
Time to prepare – 2 days
- 6 oz salted butter (melted)
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup rava (fine grain semolina)
- 1/2 cup cake flour or baking plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup yogurt (Measure the yogurt and keep in glass container at room temperature covered, the day ahead.)
- On the day of baking Grind 1/2 tsp saffron and add to yogurt. Keep aside this is your wet mix.
- Prepare a 13 by 9 inch glass tray by applying melted butter and sprinkling flour.
- Sift and combine the flours in a large bowl.
- Add to the flour mix, almonds, baking powder, salt, cardamon and nutmeg. Keep aside this is your dry mix.
- In a mixer, cream the sugar and eggs. Add eggs one by one.
- Alternate and add the dry mix and wet yogurt saffron mix a small portion at a time (see video). Blend well.
- Pour out in the baking tray.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Put tray in oven for 5 minutes till dough is hot. Now add all of the melted butter to the bubbly kumas, mix well and stir with a spatula till all the butter is absorbed. This is essential to a fluffy and moist kumas cake!
- If desired sprinkle chopped almonds on top.
- Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes in a pre-heated oven. Now and then check with inserting a toothpick or a blunt knife, to make sure kumas cake is baked. If the knife comes out clean without sticky dough, know the kumas is done.
- Watch Video on Kumas
- Note: This recipe is modified version of Kumas, which I tried and tested from Niloufer Mavalwala’s cookbook “Art of Parsi Cooking”. Click here to read more…
- Recipe is included in my cookbook “Desserts”
- Get Cookbook