Chicken Farcha like the Chap
I have adapted this recipe from the way my mother used to make “Chap”. The onions ground in the masala in the chap were an taste unforgettable! Try it sometime. The Vividh Vani Cookbook has the Chap recipe.
How do you make tasty Chicken Farcha ?
Better than KFC and worth the effort? Let us know if you make them.
Chicken Farcha are like the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken brand or the Southern Fried Chicken in USA). Just with more spices to the Colonel’s secret recipe. I guess the Parsis were enjoying these long before the KFC was branded and born!
- 1 tender, medium chicken cut into 8 pieces or 8 chicken drumsticks
Grind to masala paste:
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 3 cm piece of fresh ginger root
- 4 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 5 to 10 green chilies
- 1 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 desert spoon olive or salad oil.
- 1 slightly heaped teaspoon flour
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs.
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil or ghee for frying.
- Remove sections of bones from breast pieces of chicken.
With a sharp knife and with quick strong strokes cut into the flesh of each piece of chicken. The Flesh should be slightly broken up but not cut right through. Flatten each piece separately with a meat masher, smooth side.
- For chicken drumsticks which may not be tender, you will need to bake them or fry . Rub oil and salt and bake for 25 minutes in a 350 F oven.
- Mix Ginger, Garlic, salt and flour into a masala paste.
Coat each piece of chicken with the masala paste and allow chicken marinate 2 hours.
- Pour oil or ghee in a deep frying pan up to a depth of 3 cm. And heat to medium hot.
- While oil is heating, separate the eggs. Beat egg whites till frothy, then blend in egg yolks.
- Coat each piece of chicken with bread crumbs, dip in beaten eggs and fry on a slow fire. Turn when one side is cooked and continue cooking till chicken is tender.