Kudos to Villy Divecha who made it recently!
Recipe by Shirin Byramji
Gor Papri was made by parsi grandmothers who had a sweet tooth. It is a good treat for nursing mothers to have while breast feeding their baby since ginger powder encourages milk production in the mother and the sugar gives energy.
It is a forgotten sweet! Made from simple ingredient of “Gor” which is Jaggery a brown sugar and “Sooth” aka ginger powder.
- 1 kilo Gor (Jaggery)
- 1/4 cup water or less(just to melt the gor)
- 3 tbsp ginger powder (sooth) or as per taste of spice level
- Handful of almonds, peanuts, sesame seeds etc
- Oil or Ghee for lining the tray
- Boil the water.
- Add Jaggery chopped and keep stirring it on medium heat. It will take about an hour before it will start thickening.
- Take a drop out on a tray and let it cool. It should make a crackle sound when you bite on it and not soft.
- Add sooth (ginger powder) and nuts let it cook for 15 more mins.
- Pour it out on an oiled tray.
- Let it cool over night.
- Break and enjoy the gor papri.