22 October, 2014
Almond Milk / Badam Milk
Makes: 3 Cups of Almond Milk
4 Cups Milk
15 – 20 Almonds
1 Green Cardamom
2 – 4 drops Almond Essence
4 – 8 Strands Saffron
1/2 Cup Sugar
- Lightly bruise the green cardamom and remove all the seeds.
- Crush all the green cardamom seeds into fine powder.
- Finely chop pistachios and slice almonds for garnish.
- Soak almonds in warm water for sometime and peel off the skin.
- Grind the peeled almonds into smooth paste adding enough water.
- Bring milk to boil in a heavy sauce pot till the milk reduces by little more than quarter the original quantity.
- Add the saffron, crushed cardamom seeds, ground almond paste and boil for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond essence and sugar till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Chill the badam milk for half an hour to an hour, garnish with chopped nuts and serve.
Notes: Make sure to grind the almonds to fine paste.
Suggestions: If almond milk is too thick, stir in half a cup of skimmed milk.
Variations: Add rose petals, orange color, sliced almonds, small piece of camphor at the end for a variation. Some like to soak almonds in warm milk rather than water.
Other Names: Badam Kheer, Indian Almond Milk.