|Doodh Na Puff (Milk froth)
- This delicious and nutritious drink is traditionally made in the winter.
- Fresh milk is used and to cool the milk, it was put out on an open terrace or flat roof overnight.
- In this century we use the refrigerator and USA dairy cow’s milk.
- Best served immediately in the morning or refrigerate for later.
Serves 3-6 glasses
Recipe for Doodh na Puffs (Made in USA)
Doodh na Puffs (Made in USA)
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 drop Rose essence (optional)
- Boil milk to a full boil.
- Add sugar and boil for 5 minutes
- Cool and refrigerate overnight in covered airtight glass bowl
- Add Rose essence if desired
- Beat with egg beater or whisk till froth develops.
- Spoon the froth into a glass and serve immediately
Recipe for Doodh na Puffs (Made in India)
Doodh na Puffs (Made in India)
2 litres full cream milk
250 gm sugar
Rose water to taste
Grated nutmeg to taste
Attempt this recipe at sundown. Mix milk and sugar in a pan, put on low heat and cook till sugar has dissolved. Bring milk to the boil, three or four times. Allow it to get cold, stirring all the while it is cooling.
If you have a terrace, pour milk into a ceramic pot, cover the mouth with a cloth, tie it down and hang the pot. Leave overnight (or use cold refrigerated milk ).
Next morning, remove the pot. Mix the cream formed on top with the milk, stirring in one direction only. Add rosewater and mix well.
Pour half the milk into a cold bowl and churn or beat till foam rises to the top. Spoon foam into chilled glasses till it reaches the top. Fill glasses till the froth is a little over the lip of the glasses. Sprinkle with nutmeg and serve immediately.
If you don’t have a terrace, the refrigerator, one of the best of modern inventions, comes to your help. Instead of hanging the pot in the terrace, place it in the refrigerator.
Doodh na puff can be kept in the refrigerator for about one hour only. If kept longer the froth starts sinking. It must be made early, before the sun gets too hot.