A Parsi Baked Dish
Chicken Mahivalla / Chicken in Cream
- 200 grms almonds, blanch, slice and fried
- 200 grms raisins
- 750 grms onions, slice fine, fry golden brown
- 12 green chilies, finely chopped
- 225 grms double cream or malai
- 1 large bunch coriander leaves, cleaned and chopped
- 12 eggs
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion, sliced fine and fried
- 1 large dessert spoon of oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash and clean a whole chicken, trussing the bird. Rub all over with the above paste. To roast the chicken, either use a roasting pan, dish or roasting bags.
- Sprinkle the fried onions in the dish and place the bird. Cover with foil, or lid and cook in a preheated oven, 350 degrees, for approx I hour 45 minutes or until tender.
- Cut the roasted chicken into small pieces after deboning.
- Divide all the ingredients, except the eggs into 2 parts.
- In an ovenproof dish, make a layer of chicken, sprinkle with tried almonds raisins, chilies and coriander and lastly fried onions.
- Pour half the cream. Repeat. forming a second layer.
- Add some of the gravy which has been reserved from the roast chicken. Break the eggs on top of the dish and bake in moderate oven till eggs are set.
- Alternatively bake the dish first in moderate oven for 20 minutes and then add fried eggs or sliced hard boiled eggs.
- Serve immediately.