Omelete / Parsi Poro
- This Omelet called Parsi Poro is a popular Sunday breakfast with tomato ketchup or strawberry jam and hot crisp bread toast or buns.
- It is also a favorite sandwich on a picnic.
- Poro also means “Boy” in gujarati and some folks pun this for a girl to get her poro !!!
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion chopped fine (see the poro style chopping technique)
- 1 green chilies chopped fine (optional)
- 5 tsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp small piece of ginger and garlic crushed paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- A pinch of black pepper
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil for frying
- Deep bowl for mixing
- Deep non-stick pan for frying
- 2 Buns or Slices of Bread
- Chop the onions the poro style.
- Chop coriander leaves and chilies.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with a fork till frothy..
- Add in all the above ingredients and mix well.
- In a frying pan heat the oil till hot and pour the mixture in.
- Sprinkle a little oil over the top, taking the oil from the pan. As soon as the lower side is cooked and turns light brown, gently turn the omelets to cook the other side. This omelet is served flat.
- Serve with hot bread or toast on the side or as a sandwich.
- Add raw mangoes, ripe mangoes or bananas, chopped, to the above ingredients, adding a little gram flour.
- Add ¼ tsp Dhansak masala for flavor
- Using a flat slotted spatula to turn(flip) the omelet over and drain when taking out helps.
- If omelet browns to a dark color or breaks, no problem flip quickly to other side and cook very little, it is done.
Technique to chop onions (Poro) Style
- Peel and cut onion in two pieces.
- Lay flat and make horizontal cuts using the tip of your knife
- Next make vertical cuts
- Next slice downwards and you will get small square shaped onion bits.
Online Cooking Class – BooksJun 6, 2020, 9:34 am
[…] Omelete […]