3 September, 2014
Surti Papri (from cookbook)
Comments : 1 Posted in : Eggplant, Garlic, Hot Peppers, Meats, Onion, Peppers, Recipes, Surti Papri, Vegetable, Vegetarian on by : Rita Tags: Papri
Surti Papri Chicken, Mutton or Lamb
(Vegetarians can leave the meat out)
- 2 lbs papri (surti Papri can be found in Indian Grocery Stores. Threaded and broken into 1 inch long pieces)
- 1 lb Mutton, Chicken or Lamb
- 3/4th tsp ajwain (bishop seed)
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 2 whole pods of garlic, unpeeled or 10-12 cloves
- 2 potatoes quartered, unpeeled
- 3-4 baby brinjals slit in 4
- 5-6 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric pwd
- 2 tsp red chilly pwd
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp green chilly paste or 2-3 green chillies chopped fine
- Salt to taste
- In a heavy bottomed pan (or kalai tapela like our ancestors used) heat oil add onions and ajwain.
- Fry onion till light golden in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste, all dry spices and salt.
- Let all the spices sizzle, add the vegetables including garlic.
Let the veggies cook on a low flame for several minutes covered. Add water if it begins to dry up.
Check if vegetables are done, dry up all water.
Serve hot with wheat chappatis.
- This recipe can also be made with mutton, you will need to add the mutton before the veggies and let it simmer till it absorbs the spices. Pressure cook for 2 whistles n dry up water after the meat is cooked thoroughly.