8 November, 2016
Parsi Vasanu for the winter season
VASANU is very healthy to eat in the winter. Best time is to take a one inch square at breakfast time.
This nutritious, vasanu recipe is from my grandmother.
Vasanu is very hard to make. Click here to order Vasanu from Dilly Umrigar
- 1 1/2kg Ghee
- 1/2kg Char jaatnu magaz
- 50g Goonder
- 2 1/4kg Sugar
- 500g Ghau nu Dudh (Wheat milk powder)
- 500g Kammar Kakri
- 400g Dates
- 100g Akhrot (Walnuts)
Step 1: Soak overnight in hot water, then peel and chop and fry :
- 1/2 kg Almonds
- 1/2 kg Pistachio nuts, shelled
- 250 g Charoli
Step 2: Grind to a powder individually:
- 250g Suva (Dil)
- 1/2 kg Dried water chestnuts
- 450g Lotus roots
- 25g Pholi musli
- 10g Punjabi salan
- 25g White pepper
- 100g Gokhru
- 25g Kali musli
- 50g pipri mool
- 50g saalam panjo
- 50g kajar kas
- 50g karlu batrisu
- 50g jabar jas
Step 3: Grind lightly – should be left a little course:
- 30g white cardamoms
- 3 nutmegs
- 25g vai varin
- 350g dry ginger
- 250g udad daal
- 25g chana dal
- 150g khus khus
- 250g singora
- 100g variali (saunf)
- 200g dry coconut
- Grind as directed in the steps
- Heat a little ghee in a shallow frying pan and fry all powdered individually, a little at a time, adding them to the mixture with ghee, as they are fried. Mix well, place on low heat and cook, stirring continuously, to prevent burning.
- Make a sugar syrup of one-thread consistency, using enough water just to cover sugar. Add fried ingredients together in a large pot, keeping a few nuts aside.
- In another pan, cook dil with ghau nu doodh till thick. Add about two cups water, if needed. Pour dil mixture into sugar syrup.
- When thick, add crushed spices, mix well and remove from fire.
- Pour into a dish, cool cut into pieces and store in a cool place.
- Not good for diabetics unless you substitute sugar with Splenda.
- Vasanu will stay for a month. Having a thick layer of ghee on top prevents it from spoiling.