Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time:30 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 3 lbs Chicken, Lamb, Goat meat or Mutton
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (cayenne pepper)
- 1 teaspoon dhana-jeera powder (coriander-cumin)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 generous pinches of saffron
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sliced onions
- 1 thinly sliced long green chile pepper (6″)
- 5 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- Cut meat into bite size pieces.
- Toss with ginger paste, garlic paste, chili powder, dhana-jeera powder and black pepper. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat milk. Add saffron and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place raisins in a bowl and cover with boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat oil. Add whole spices and fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion and chilies and fry for 10 minutes, stirring often, until caramelized. Remove onions and spices from pot.
- Add meat and fry until browned.
- Return the onion and spices to the pot. Keep a little of the caramelized onion for garnish
- Add raisins, sugar, salt, saffron milk, rice and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve, garnished with caramelized onions.
Serve mutton pulao with vegetarian dhansak masala dar. Spicy lentil Dhansak is a puree made to go with rice pilaf. Sample recipe from my Meats Parsi Cuisine Cookbook shown below.
Products from Amazon.com‹ ›