Sabudana Kichdi (from cookbook)
Cooking time : 20 mins
- Sabudana/ sago 1 cup
- Potato 1
- Green chilli 3
- Lemon 1/2
- Peanuts 3 tblsp
- Ghee 1 tblsp
- Ghee 1 tsp
- Jeera 1 tsp
- Mustard (optional) 3/4 tsp
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Wash sago well and soak it overnight with water just enough to immerse the sago. The next day morning, all water should have got absorbed by the sago and it will be soft and fluffy.
- Boil potatoes and cube it and keep aside.In a non stick pan, add ghee and temper with mustard if desired and then jeera, followed by curry leaves. Add the cubed potatoes, little salt and fry for a minute.
- Add the sago, required salt and stir well. Add ghee if needed and keep in medium flame for 4- 5 minutes, until transparent and soft. Make sure you stir to avoid sticking to the bottom. Add crushed peanuts (roasted).
- Give it a stir and lastly squeeze the lemon and toss well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- The sago should get soaked well, then only it gets cooked easily too. So make sure you soak atleast 8 hours.
- Do not soak in more water. Just wash and add water to immerse the sago. Otherwise if you add more water, then becomes gooey.
- After you add sago and keep frying, as the sago gets cooked, it turns transparent. Make sure all the sago gets cooked.
- As it gets cooked, tends to be sticky but dont worry, it wont be too sticky.
- Mustard is purely optional. So you can avoid it.
- If you over cook the sago and keep frying, after turning transparent, it again starts to turn white.