Pampus argenteus/ silver or white pomfret is a species of butterfish that lives in coastal waters off the Middle East, South Asia, and Southeast Asia. This fish is prized in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region; has subtle flavour and has high Omega 3 and Vitamin content, its flesh is soft and buttery when cooked.
Quantity of small pomfret fish – 8 (Butter-fish can be substituted)
Marinate the fish in:
- ¼ tsp. of turmeric powder,
- ½ tsp. (or according to preference of taste) of kashmiri chilli powder,
- ½ tsp. (or according to preference of taste) of garam masala,
- Salt – according to preference of flavour,
- Mashed pieces of 6 to 8 garlic cloves,
- 2 tsp. of chilli vinegar (- this vinegar is not pungent in flavour, has a flavourful pungent aroma)
- Coat the marinated fish along with the mashed pieces of garlic in rice flour before shallow frying the fish in any mild-flavour vegetable oil, fry the fish in low heat for about 5 minutes.