Vengna nu Bhartu (Baingan Bhartu) (Eggplant Bhurtu)
1lb Eggplant (also known as Vengnu or Baingan in India)
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 tsp Ginger/garlic paste
- 1 finely chopped green chilli
- 2 tsp Cumin Jeera seeds
- 3 sprigs of green garlic (I grow it )
- 1 green scallion chopped fine
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 cup Yogurt and 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 bunch Coriander to garnish
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise and coat with oil and salt. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes. Skin should browned.
- Take off the skin off the eggplant and mash the pulp into paste and keep it aside.
- Take a wok and heat oil add cumin seeds and onion and saute till light brown.
- Add ginger/garlic paste, chopped scallions, green chilli.
- Add the eggplant pulp and saute some more.
- Next add the mashed baingan, salt to taste and mix it well and cook.
- Cook covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Small beads of oil on the side of the pan will appear when bhartu is ready with that fried flavor.
- Add yogurt and sugar, take off heat and serve immediately.
- Do not bring to a boil else the yogurt will separate.
- Garnish with coriander. Serve with Naan, Rotli or Khichri
- Instead of baking baigan/brinjal, wash properly, wipe and apply oil and put the gas on low and try to roast it completely, turning at times. When the skin starts cracking and its roasted completely, off the gas and then mash it up. Its tastes better