We used to get Nankhatai like these in Surat, India from the famous Dotivala Bakery. 2 khatai wrapped back to back in wax paper together. Now making them in USA, makes my day during the Covid-19 lockdown.
– 4 cups All-purpose Flour
– 1.25 cups or 10oz of Sugar (I used confectioners sugar)
– 1 lb or 4 sticks unsalted butter (my butter was salted)
– 8 tbs semolina (sooji)
– 1.5 tbs Vanilla essence
– 1.5 tsp cardamom
– 1.5 tsp nutmeg
– Pinch of Salt (not used since my butter was salted)
– Preheat oven to 350F
– Cream butter and sugar in mixer until very light
– Add Cardamom, nutmeg and salt
– Add Vanilla, semolina and Flour beating constantly till dough is light and fluffy
– Roll lightly into balls and place on cookie sheet fairly apart as the mixture will spread
– In the oven for 15 – 20 minutes, watch carefully
After they are completely cooled, place 2 nankhatai and wrap first in plastic wrap and ties as shown above. Next wrap in wax paper as shown below.