Parsi Community are Egg Lovers. We put eggs in our Cakes, Vegetables, Kebabs, Curry, Rice Pilaos, Garnishes, Custards!
Tomato and Eggs go so well together. I made Tomato and Eggs a parsi favorite yesterday.
It is a sweet and spicy dish with ginger, garlic and Indian spices.
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- l/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 piece ginger
- 4 green chilies
- 9 dried red small chilies
- 2 medium onions. Sliced fine
- 4 tbsp. jaggery
- 8 tbsp. ghee or oil
- 4 eggs
Skin the tomatoes and chop them finely. or liquidize them. Slice the onions finely and fry light brown.
- Add the ground Masala and salt and cook for a while, then the tomatoes till all ingredients are blended together.
- Add the jaggery and carry on cooking on a low fire till the juice is dry.
- Remove and place in an ovenproof dish or a pan with a cover.
- Separate the eggs and beat the whites well.
- Add the yolks and beat.
- Pour the eggs onto the tomatoes and place in preheated oven gas no 5 (400″F).
- OR keep the eggs whole and drop them on top of the tomato gravy, steam in a closed pan, till the egg white is cooked to your liking. I like the yolk runny 🙂
- When the eggs are firm to the touch, remove and serve with bread.