It is the Ayurvedic detox food. Khichadi, pronounced kich-ah-ree and sometimes spelled “kitchari” or “khichdi,” has long been used to nourish babies and the elderly, the sick and the healthy during special times of Diet Detox & Cleansing.
Vaghareli Khichri Recipe
- 1 Cup/tipri rice (barik Surti kolam, basmati)
- 1 Cup/tipri maag/mung OR red masoor daar (red lentils)
- 2 Cups Water for cooking
- Clean and wash both 3 times with water, and keep aside soaked in 2 cups water.
- Put the soaked dar/rice in a cooking vessel, add Water and 1 diced tomato, 2 jacket potatoes quartered, 2-3 slit green chillies and put on fire.
- In another thick bottomed vaghar vessel, add 1 tblsp pure ghee, add 1 tsp jeera, crackle 1 tsp mustard seeds, add 2 stems of curry patta, 10-12 cloves finely chopped garlic, 2 finely sliced onions, 1 tspn harad, 1/2 tsp hing, 3-4 red kashmir chillies and fry to a nice golden brown crisp Vaghar.
- Add this to the cooking dar rice khichri and cook covered on slow fire until soft and done. (as we say in parsi gujarati – vavri)
- Garnish with freshly cut coriander and eat just by itself or with fried vengna slices (shown above) or dahi kadhi (shown above), sukka boomla no tarapori patio or just about anything.