It is the Ayurvedic detox food. Khichadi, pronounced kich-ah-ree and sometimes spelled “kitchari” or “khichdi,” has long been used to nourish babies and the elderly, the sick and the healthy during special times of Diet Detox & Cleansing.
Vaghareli Khichri Recipe
- 1 Cup rice (barik Surti kolam, basmati)
- 1 Cup maag/mung OR red masoor daar (red lentils)
- 2 Cups Water for cooking
- 5 tsps Ghee or Clarified Butter
- Clean and wash both 3 times with water, and keep aside soaked in 2 cups water.
- Put the soaked dar/rice in a cooking vessel, add Water and 1 diced tomato, 2 jacket potatoes quartered, 2-3 slit green chillies and put on fire.
- In another thick bottomed vaghar vessel, add 1 tblsp pure ghee, add 1 tsp jeera, crackle 1 tsp mustard seeds, add 2 stems of curry patta, 10-12 cloves finely chopped garlic, 2 finely sliced onions, 1 tspn harad, 1/2 tsp hing, 3-4 red kashmir chillies and fry to a nice golden brown crisp Vaghar.
- Add this to the cooking dar rice khichri and cook covered on slow fire until soft and done. (as we say in parsi gujarati – vavri)
- Garnish with freshly cut coriander and eat just by itself or with fried vengna slices (shown above) or dahi kadhi (shown above), sukka boomla no tarapori patio or Ghee.