by Rita Jamshed Kapadia
It is to be made exactly as follows:
- 1 1/2 kg ghee
- 1/2 kg char jaatna magaz
- 50 g baval nu goonder (resin of the baval tree)
- 2 1/4 kg sugar
- 500 g ghau nu doodh
- 500 g cummar kakri
- 400 g dates
- 100 g akhrot (walnut)
soak overnight in hot water, peel and chop and fry :
- 1/2 kg almonds
- 1/2 kg pistachio nuts, shelled
- 250 g charoli
- 250 g dil (suva)
- 1/2 kg dried water chestnuts
- 450 g lotus roots
- 25 g dholi musli
- 10 g punjabi salan
- 25 g white pepper
- 100 g gokhru
- 25 g kali musli
- 50 g pipri mool
- 50 g saalam panjo
- 50 g kajar kas
- 50 g karlu batrisu
- 50 g jabar jas
- 30 g white cardamoms
- 3 nutmegs
- 25 g vai varin
- 350 g dry ginger
- 250 g udad daal
- 25 g chana dal
- 150 g khus khus
- 250 g singora
- 100 g variali (saunf)
- 200 g dry coconut
- Fry individually all peeled and chopped nuts, mags.
- Make a sugar syrup of one-thread consistency , using enough water just to cover sugar. Add fried ingredients, keeping a few nuts aside.
- In another pan, cook dil with ghau nu doodh till thick. Add about two cups water, if needed. Pour dil mixture into sugar syrup.
- Heat a little ghee in a shallow frying pan and fry all powdered ingredients, individually, a little at a time, adding them to the mixture with ghee, as they are fried. Mix well, place on low heat and cook, stirring continuously, to prevent burning.
- When thick, add crushed spices, mix well and remove from fire.
- Pour into a tray, pyrex dish or glass jar and store in a cool place.
Vasanu is a very well-known health food in India. It is said to:
- Extend your life years (Has Aryuvedic ingredients)
- Increase your immunity (with Ginger, white pepper and lotus flower)
- Strengthen your bones and muscles (protein and calcium rich)
- A winter Cold and Flu remedy (have it before breakfast for best results with a strong cup of tea)
Parsi Vasanu – Indian Parsi CuisineDec 12, 2017, 10:12 am
[…] Made in USA with fresh mewo – Almonds, Walnuts, Pistachios, Dates and several other natural healthy ingredients like Musli, Kamar Kakri, Char jat nu Magaj, Ginger, Wheat – ghau nu dudh, water-chestnut, poppy seeds (khus-khus), cardamom, nutmeg and so many Aryuvedic ingredients plus spices that are carefully selected and blended for their vigor-giving properties. Recipe for Vasanu is here if you want to make it yourself, hard work! […]
DariusDec 12, 2017, 7:56 pm
Appreciated a lot for all your wonderful recipes.
I live in Canada Toronto. Any place to contact.
RitaJan 1, 2018, 10:56 am
Hi Darius, Thanks for dropping a line.
We are in USA. Please use contact form.
Health benefits of Ganthoda powder and Vasanu – Parsi CuisineJan 1, 2018, 6:00 pm
[…] Parsi Vasanu includes Gandhoda powder. Vasanu is eaten in cold winter weather early in the morning for maximum […]
RitaOct 10, 2018, 8:48 am
Thank you so much Darius ❤ Do keep visiting.
I make vasanu but not for selling, dont know anyone in Canada.
Easy Parsi Vasanu – ParsiCuisine.comNov 11, 2019, 11:16 am
[…] Vasanu that needs stirring is so much easier with an automatic […]
AnonymousDec 12, 2020, 8:47 pm
Hi Rita, was looking for the recipe which has all herbs the authentic one.. will make with your recipe.
Rita Jamshed KapadiaDec 12, 2020, 9:09 pm
PratimadesaiDec 12, 2020, 10:47 pm
How to get ghau milk
Rita Jamshed KapadiaDec 12, 2020, 10:53 pm
you can make it at home. Pls searchGHAU NU DOODH (MILK OF WHEAT) for Ghau dudh recipe here.