26 June, 2014
Parsi Dhan Dar (from cookbook)
Comments : 4 Posted in : A Recipe of ParsiCuisine.com, Grains and Lentils, Recipes, Rice on by : Rita Tags: Recipes
Parsi Dhan Dar
( Also known as Mora Dal Chawal)
Chawal (Steamed Rice)
- 2 cups basmati Rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil or ghee
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon stick (broken)
- 5 cardamom pods (broken)
- Wash the Rice then add the required water, ghee, Salt and all of above.
- Put in a large flat bottomed pot with a cover and bring to a rolling boil.
- Next lower heat to lowest setting and cook covered, on full flame for 20 minutes.
- Keep covered till ready to serve. (Note – do not open cover unless you need to. this keeps the steam in and the Rice soft)
- 3 cups Dal ( toovar Dal )
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 pod Garlic
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 3 cups water
- 1 large Onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsps butter or ghee
- Wash the Dal well then add water, Salt, Turmeric and allow to cook till tender in a pressure cooker (15 minutes) on low heat.
- Mash the Dal with a hand grinder or potato masher. Make it nice and blended.
- Add butter or ghee (this makes the Dal shiny).
- Fry the sliced Onions, chopped Garlic and fry in Oil till light gold.
- Then add the Cumin seeds and remove from stove.
- Add all the fried items to the Dal, cover to keep the aroma in.
- Serve hot.